Your little ones deserve to play safely and germ-free. It’s why we recommend cleaning and disinfecting their toys on a regular basis. Are you wondering where to start? Here's how to clean all types of children’s toys.
How should you clean toys that can't be washed?
- How to clean baby toys?
- Step 1: Boil a large pot of water.
- Step 2: Turn off the heat and submerge the toy with a tong or other utensil.
- Step 3: Wait for 5-10 minutes before removing toys with a tong or a similar utensil.
- Step 4: Place on a Viva® Signature Cloth™ paper towel to air dry before use.
- How to clean plastic toys?
- Wet a Viva® Signature Cloth™ paper towel with a 3% hydrogen peroxide solution. Keep the toy’s surface wet for five minutes and let air dry. Make sure to give them another thorough warm water rinse and then let them air dry again.
- How to clean plush toys?
- Step 1: Dip a Viva® Signature Cloth™ paper towel in a warm soapy solution and go over the entire toy.
- Step 2: Rinse with a different Viva® Signature Cloth™ paper towel that you've dipped in clear water and wrung out well.
- Step 3: Allow the toy to air dry or use a hair dryer to help speed drying and fluff the fur.
- Bonus Tip: To eliminate bacteria, dust mites and other allergens from plush toys without washing them, go over them slowly with a garment steamer, then vacuum the toy thoroughly with your vacuum's upholstery attachment.
How should you clean toys that can be washed?
- How to clean toys using the washing machine?
- Step 1: Load your washing machine with detergent. Regular is fine but we recommend something safe for babies, so think dye and scent-free.
- Step 2: Take an old zippered pillowcase and throw the plush toys into the pillowcase. Close it up and place in the wash and start a gentle wash cycle with cool or warm (not hot) water to avoid melting glued-on items.
- Step 3: When the wash cycle is done, pull out the toys and brush the fur with a fine-tooth comb to re-fluff it. To dry, place the pillowcase in the dryer on the fluff cycle.
With routines that are this simple, make sure to keep Viva® paper towels close at hand for all your cleaning needs.